Friday, June 10, 2011

Jesus' Scarred Hands

After Jesus' resurrection when He appears to the disciples we learn that His hands and sides still bear the scars from his crucifixion.  Paul writes in 1 Cor 15:42-44 that "resurrection bodies" or "spiritual bodies" at the end of the age will be "glorious" and "imperishable".  But Jesus' body has scars.  It made me sad to think Jesus' resurrection body will be marred for eternity because of my sins.

But then I donated bone marrow.

My marrow donation was just under a month ago and by now, because of God's awesome creative design, my body will have replenished most if not all of the quart of marrow I donated.  My body is basically back to normal.  The only reminders I have are the tiny scars on either side of my lower back where the needles were inserted.  But I do not look at these scars with regret, as unfortunate reminders.  To me the scars are a physical memorial of an opportunity I had to serve/save someone because I am served/saved by God.  I like what these scars testify to.

Likewise Jesus's scars are not imperfections; they are not reminders of regret or some ordeal that Jesus grudgingly went through.  His scars are trophies; memorials of how great His love is, and of what length's God will go through to save us, to get us back.

I now understand why Jesus' resurrection body has the scars.  And I love what they testify to.
God is awesome

No comments: