Friday, October 21, 2011

Are we the Empire? Part 2.

Is our american way of life worse than I think?  Are we the stronger, mightier, ruthless people who have spread across the world conquering and subjugating any people groups in our wake.  The top 10% of the world account for 85% of the global assests [1] and we are in that “blessed” boat.
Are we the heirs of western imperialism?  How much does this affect my daily life?  If there are people across the globe whose daily existence has been affected by the imperialism of our forefathers does that mean that I am equally affected by it?  I am not oppressed by it, at least I do not feel oppressed, but does that mean I am free from it?  Or does it mean that imperialism’s affects upon me are more subtle and insidious?

Where am I too busy trying to meet frivolous wants and desires that american society tells me are "normal"?  Have I bought into the lies of comfort and entitlement fed to me?  What luxuries do I expect are really absurd in the global context? What "normal" things are not truly "normal" once I step out of my perfect little world?

Why do we outsource and buy foreign products?  Are we living comfortably off the backs of the exploited who are not protected by our laws?  Are we able to buy bigger and less fuel efficient cars, trucks, and suv's because the government subsidizes gasoline prices or because we are simply richer than other people around the world?  Is our abundance/overabundance fueling hedonism in our lives?  If necessity drives innovation does wealth drive complacency/apathy?

Many of the words of the early Church were political words.  Even the word "church" Gk: ekklesia, means assembly or town meeting [2].  The early Church was seen as the establishment of another kingdom, a different kingdom, one that exists parallel to the Empire but is nothing like Empire.

The economy of the Kingdom is not “what can I get”, but “what can I sacrifice.”  Capitalism has nothing to do with this Kingdom (or any other human system in case you are wondering).  “But many who are first will be last, and the last first."  (Mk 10:31) “Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.” (Rom 12:10) , etc.

Where am I participating in Empire?  Where are my actions leading to the oppression and exploitation of others both foreign and domestic.  We are blessed to be a blessing.  The question is in what ways am I blessed, in what ways am I a blessing, and is how I am blessed in proportion to how I am a blessing?

Cynicism is not a solution.  It is very tempting at times.  I want to point to all of suburbia around me and say "it's all going to rot and burn", but that is not what Jesus would do.  That is not what Jesus did, it is not what He has called me to do.  His ways are far more consuming and revolutionary than that.

(Part 3 is coming, and will come sooner than this post)


[1] Davies, James et al.  “Pioneering Study Shows Richest Two Percent Own Half World Wealth”  World Institute for Development Economics Research.  http://www.wider.unu.edu/events/past-events/2006-events/en_GB/05-12-2006/

[2] Claiborne, Shane and Chris Haw. Jesus For President. pg 68.

No comments: